The two imposing statues on either side of
the main entrance to the building represent “Peace” (left side) and “Justice”.
They were sculpted by the Geneva artist Luc Jaggi in 1925. “Peace” has
a child bearing an olive branch and “Justice” is firmly seated on a
Depictions of “Peace” (left) and “Justice” (right) flank the main
entrance to the home of the WTO
The Delft ceramic panel by the Dutch illustrator Albert Hahn Jr. is
situated behind the reception desk in the building's entrance hall.
The panel consists of over 2,000 individual tiles.
The Delft panel (1926) by Albert Hahn Jr
Artist Maurice Denis
putting finishing touches to
his mural “The Dignity of Labour” (1931)
A broad staircase takes the visitor from the
reception area to the first floor landing, which is decorated on both
sides with large murals depicting various trades, crafts and
professions. On the east side wall the French artist Maurice Denis
painted “The Dignity of Labour”.
On the west side of the landing the Irish
artist Sean Keating continued in his mural the theme of representing
labour in all its forms.
Mural representing labour (1961) by artist Sean Keating
Moving up the next flight of stairs brings
the visitor to other visions of labour on land and sea, conceived in
painted tiles by the Portuguese artist Jorge Colaço.
Tiled panel (1928) by Jorge Colaço
murals (1940) decorate the walls of the Salle des Pas Perdus. They
are the work of the Swiss-French artist Gustave-Louis Jaulmes.
“Dans la joie universelle”, painting by Gustave-Louis Jaulmes, Salle
des Pas Perdus.
“Le travail dans l'abondance”, painting by Gustave-Louis Jaulmes,
Salle des Pas Perdus.
“Le bienfait des loisirs”, painting by Gustave-Louis Jaulmes, Salle
des Pas Perdus.
To the right of the tiled fresco is the WTO
Library, which is decorated with fine woodwork and offers access to a
unique collection of works on the multilateral trading system.
The open courtyard on the main floor of the
CWR is occupied by an ornamental fountain conceived by the artist
WTO courtyard with “Child with Fish” fountain (1926)
by artist Gilbert Bayes