THE 10 MISUNDERSTANDINGS
2. Blindly for
6. Wrecks jobs?
7. Small left out?
8. Tool of lobbies?
9. Weak forced to
> The WTO in Brief
> 10 benefits
The debate will probably never end.
have different views of the pros and cons of the WTO’s “multilateral”
trading system. Indeed, one of the most important reasons for having the
system is to serve as a forum for countries to thrash out their differences
on trade issues. Individuals can participate, not directly, but through
is important for the debate to be based on a proper understanding of how
the system works. This booklet attempts to clear up 10 common
The ten misunderstandings
The WTO dictates policy
2. The WTO is for free trade at any cost
3. Commercial interests take priority over development
4. … and over the environment
5. … and over health and safety
6. The WTO destroys jobs, worsens poverty
7. Small countries are powerless in the WTO
8. The WTO is the tool of powerful lobbies
9. Weaker countries are forced to join the WTO
WTO is undemocratic